Sunday 5 October 2014

Does Atheism have voice?

As an atheist I am finding it harder and harder to fathom all the bullshit pandering to religion going on at the moment. I am all for peace and human beings being decent towards each other but I am not going to be bullied into accepting, without question, belief systems, and their associated practices, that are at the root of so many of the world’s current problems. I understand that many decent and peace loving people do proclaim a belief in a God and and allegiance to a particular religion. But I will not for one minute accept that any religion can be ignored, or exempt from scrutiny, by simply claiming it is a religion of peace. Calls for peace and calls for violence can be found in any so called sacred text. Christianity, Judaism and Islam, the big three, are inconsistent, antiquated, intolerant faith systems that are based on superstitious bullshit and a disdain for the innate nature of human beings. I have no tolerance for them.

I was baptised and initially educated within the Catholic faith. I rejected it outright at quite an early age as a consequence of exercising my human capacity for free and rational thought. It appears that that type of thinking in many areas of modern life is not acceptable - not politically correct. Religion, the current human population and economic growth are three big no go zones for open and critical dialogue – they are essentially taboo. I thought religious bullshit and tyranny was done away with 500 years ago with the Enlightenment. I guess I have underestimated the power that fear and ignorance can have over people.

No comments:

Post a Comment